I’m a self confessed gymbunny because I aim to go to the gym daily and I bloody love it. Even when I’m away from my home gym I hunt down the closest chain and pop in after a days work. So here a few things I’ve picked up after almost half a year of enjoying a healthier lifestyle.
1) Gymbunnies sweat – so you gotta wash everything more reguarly. This includes your hair! All that talk about stripping your hair of its natural oils go out the window. When you work out you sweat from every pore, even more so from your scalp because of all of that hair. So avoid the hairline pimples and give it a clean!
2) You need two yoga mats – the gym floors tend to be super hard being solid floorboards, so double up your yoga mat. It gets uncomfortable real quick if your rolling on your back in Pilates or holding poses that put a lot of pressure on your knees/arm joints, so a little extra padding goes a long way. You can concentrate more on the routine at hand than the pain going through your knees during a Sun Salutation.
3) Always have a hair tie handy – There’s nothing chic about sweaty hair for a gymbunny! I throw a few extras in my gym bag for the days I forget, but a large hair clip doesn’t quite do it when you’re jumping around. I normally use a huge clamp clip to avoid the kinks when I whack my hair back, but it doesnt hold your hair when you’re doing a stint of cardio or hanging onto the barre in body barre.
4) Keep the flip flops handy – the thought of walking around barefoot around the pool and shower areas grosses me out, so reduce your chances of getting a varruca and keep a pair of flip flops handy. I wear mine and leave them with my towel by the pool when I fancy a swim.
5) You probably need to take a step further back for lunges – I started off quite meek with my strides for my lunges and realised I wasn’t working the right muscles and just putting pressure on my knees. So now I always keep a check on my form and take a bigger stride. If they’re not at 90 deg when you bend down, you’re not doing it right!
6) If it hurts, stop – a work out should be challenging and tiring, not painful in the sense that you’re hurting. That means you could be doing something wrong or you need to take it easy. Tune in with how your body is before you start a workout, are your joints feeling okay today? If not take it easy, you don’t want to aggravate an injury.
7) It’s okay to miss a day – motivation is hard at first but you need to make it easier for yourself to love the gym in the first place, check out my last gym post for a pep talk here. If I’m not feeling it one day because a favourite class isn’t on that day and the thought of running brings tears to my eyes, I just say I’ll take that day off. Simple as! There’s always another class I can choose to go to the next day thankfully.
8) But don’t be a lazy gymbunny – take a rest when you need one, but don’t make excuses. If you’re down and out with the flu then recover before you smash it at the gym again!
9) Cheat your brain into running for longer – when I’ve missed the cardio classes for the week I’d have to bribe myself to have a quick run by watching a Youtube video. Distracting your attention from just starting at the gym wall when you run will make you focus less on how boring it is and make you more likely to run for a little bit longer.
10) Have fun – another way of gathering some motivation to hit the gym is to enjoy your workouts. Everyone has their own little fun bits in the day so make it yours!
I also tried to subtly get that Easter bunny in there, could you tell??
Let your inner gymbunny shine!
128 total views, 3 views today